Monday, October 01, 2007

Merci Beaucoup Monsieur


Recently, I had the unexpected opportunity to spend four days in Montréal, Quebec. My husband was going there on business and I tagged along as a tourist. We stayed in Laval, which is quite a ways from the tourist destination of Vieux Montréal. Like Paris, Montréal has a great, user friendly metro system. Each morning I’d walk about a mile to the station, ride into downtown Montréal and explore on foot.

One morning at the station, I was fishing in my purse for a $2 Canadian coin and 3 Canadian quarters for the metro fare. I noticed a slightly older than middle aged man in the booth making huge arm movements in my direction. He was trying to get my attention, so still fishing in my purse, I went to the booth and greeted him with, “Bonjour Monsieur .” I put my money through the window and he passed me a ticket, greeting me with, “Bonjour Madame. Comment allez-vous?” I think I surprised him with, “ Je vais bien merci et vous?” Then HE surprised me with, “Madame, vous êtes une jolie femme.” I was so surprised and embarrassed, but managed to say, “Oh! Merci beaucoup Monsieur. Vous êtes très gentil!” And then he told me, “De rien. Vous êtes belle!”

I am quite sure I am not the first woman with whom he’s flirted. But for me it was flattering and especially nice to hear in French. He doesn’t know it, but he made my day!

No comments: