Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Working for a Living


Recently, I have become gainfully employed. I am the new Adult Literacy Program Coordinator at ReadWest, Inc. In February of 2007, I trained as an English as a Second Language tutor at ReadWest. I really enjoyed my experience. Earlier this month, I was approached by a friend who is on the board of directors at ReadWest and offered the Program Coordinator job. Now, in addition to tutoring my wonderful student Gaby from Mexico, I orient new Basic Literacy and ESL tutors, assess new students and then match them to available tutors. I am busy from the time I walk in the door until I lock the office up in the afternoon. There are a thousand things to do all day long. But, I believe the work I do is very important. I am so happy to be a part of an organization that makes a difference in the lives of people everyday. The gift of literacy changes a person's life for the better. Speaking English can lift someone from poverty and dead end jobs to a path of upward mobility. I am inspired by the countless hours of time our volunteers devote to helping their students. I love my job!

The picture is of the St. James Hotel sign in Cimarron, New Mexico, that was established in 1872 by French chef Henri Lambert, personal chef to President Abraham Lincoln.

No comments: