Monday, March 17, 2008

Rouen France


Dreams really do come true. I went to France last month for two weeks. I spent the first week in Rouen, France. It’s located in Normandy and is famous for several things, mainly the place where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake. There is a chapel dedicated to Jeanne d’Arc near the place were she was killed.

Rouen is a charming old city. There are many half timber buildings in the old part of the town. There is a university there so students keep the place youthful and lively. The Notre Dame Cathedral in Rouen is also very famous. Monet painted several famous paintings of the front façade, demonstrating the changes in the natural lighting at different parts of the day. I liked this old cathedral for several reasons. The first is inside there are the tombs of several Dukes of Normandy; Rollo and Richard the Lionhearted to name a few. My husband’s family traces their genealogy to Rollo and William the Conqueror . So it was a bit like visiting the grave of a relative. Also, they are restoring many of the statues of saints and prophets that were on the outside of the building. They brought the old ones into the cathedral so people could get a close up look at them. It was amazing to see what time and environment had done to the ancient carved stone ‘people.’ Lastly, on the outside of the building you can still see the effects of war. Rouen was a battle ground during the Second World War. The building is pocked and scarred by gun battles. Yet she still stands firm in the heart of the city, to eventually outlive us all.

Rouen is famous for its lovely ceramics. I was seduced by these shops myself. I have a lovely plate with a rooster for my collection. But, next time I visit and I hope it’s soon, I will buy a few more things I regret not getting while I was there!

Since we were there for Valentine’s Day, we celebrated with an 8 course French meal at the La Couronne ( the crown in French.) It is supposed to be the oldest restaurant in France. Who am I to judge? The food was superb. However, the meal lasted 4 hours. I’m afraid my husband and I have been married too long to have interesting conversation for 4 continuous hours! :-)


Next time... le Bassin d'Arcachon

No comments: