Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Arcachon, France






My second week in France started with a train ride to southwestern city of Bordeaux. I was met at the station by Fabienne. Up until this moment, we had only spoken together via the internet. So it was wonderful to meet her in person. She took me to a few of her favorite shops in Bordeaux and then introduced me to a colorful treat, macaroons (macarons in French.) It is a cookie that consists mainly of almond paste according to my dictionary. But to me they were just plain yummy!




I stayed with Fabienne and her family for 3 days in Arcachon. Arcachon is a city located on the southern tip of le Bassin d’Arcachon, Arcachon Bay in English. She and her husband are pharmacists and live above there pharmacy. It’s an ideal location only two blocks from the water! We also climbed the Dune of Pyla. It’s a huge, naturally created mountain of sand next to the sea. Going up was really hard work, but going down was a joy as you could run fast with no fear of falling because the sand acted as a shock absorber, keeping your feet steady! We also climbed the Belvedere Tower that was made by a fellow named Gustave Eiffel. From this observation tower you can see the city of Arcachon as well as the bay.



While I was visiting Fabienne, I fell in love with coquille Saint Jacques. We call them scallops in English. I’ve had scallops before, but not fresh off the boat and bought in the shell! They are simply delicious. I’ve always admired the way the French go grocery shopping. They have little markets with vendors selling fruit and vegetables, flowers, meats, fish, cheeses and pastries. There are even people selling prepared Moroccan and Asian dishes. I guess it’s the French version of ‘fast food.’ It’s neighborhood centered and friendly. I wish we had something similar in the U.S.








One night we went out for dinner at a nice restaurant called l’Encoche. Since I was in love with coquille St. Jacques, I ordered them again. I had really wonderful food in France. The second picture is Fabienne and her husband Laurent. They are really wonderful and lots of fun!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

C’est un charmant article, merci Muncie. Je suis enchantée que tu aies apprécié ton séjour parmi nous . C’était un réel bonheur de partager ton enthousiasme pour la France et ta joie de vivre. Ces trois jours sont passés vraiment trop vite. Il y a encore tellement de choses que j’aurais souhaité te montrer et partager avec toi !

Il y a quelques mois, sur ce même blog, à l’occasion de ton anniversaire tu avais émis plein de vœux dont celui de venir en France rencontrer tes amis … c’est génial , ça a marché ! ;) Sois gentille, recommence encore, à ton prochain anniversaire, refais le même vœux cette année :) .